You just bought a used car and you’ve never laid eyes on it! Are you crazy as everyone you know screams that? No, you’re not and I will tell you why.
It may not be the most preferred way to buy Tampa used cars but you can actually buy a pre-owned vehicle without ever physically seeing it until it’s delivered to you. With technology being what it is today, you can shop for a used car sight unseen with confidence even in other markets.
Here are some simple things you can do to protect yourself from getting burned:
- Pictures ask for lots of pictures with close up shots of seats, any physical damage, scratches, and make sure you get interior and exterior shots.
- Used Car History Reports. Make sure at the very least you get one report. CARFAX™ or AutoCheck™ both supply great reports. It’s advisable to get both if you’re buying sight-unseen.
- Use a third party automotive inspection service. Find a reputable service that will inspect the car on your behalf and give you a comprehensive report.
If shopping from a dealer be sure you look at online reviews. Shopping on eBay™ you can see the dealer’s ratings.
Another overlooked item is shipping. If you’re shipping a vehicle that you bought here are some things to make sure the trucking company has:
- Proper DOT license. Don’t use some fly by night service just because it’s less money. There is a huge reason it’s cheap!
- Make sure the trucking company has enough insurance to cover your vehicle. The rule of thumb is $500K to $1 million dollars in coverage. Your vehicle is likely not the only one on the truck. Ask to see the coverage reputable trucking companies will share this with you.
- Enclosed or open trailer. It’s your choice to choose open or closed trailers. Depending on the vehicle that is being transported will determine the style trailer.
- When you receive the vehicle go over it with a fine-tooth comb. Inspect the car for freight damage such as windshield chips, door dings, and rock chips. You will have an inspection form from when the car was picked up, check the report for reference.
- Check the VIN number that it matches your paperwork. The VIN number is in the corner of the driver’s side windshield. The VIN is 17 digits and alphanumeric number.
- Check and make sure that all the equipment, owners manuals, and extra keys are present.
For consumers shopping currently a service that has a lot to offer is beepi.com. A pre-owned shopping site for consumers looking to purchase a used car, sell a used vehicle or get a vehicle inspected. With a one-stop shopping experience.
The inspection service is comprehensive. It’s certified by beepi.com, giving you peace-of-mind that the vehicle you’re considering is sound.
By doing your homework you can buy with confidence sight-unseen. If you come upon any resistance when considering a vehicle simply pass. If a seller won’t cooperate with you, then pass on the vehicle. Plenty of nice folks and dealers that will provide you everything you need to make an informed decision.